Sunday, March 15, 2009

Scales are for suckers...

I read an interesting article on why one should be very apprehensive about putting complete trust in the scale. A body weight scale that is. Basically our weight does not tell the whole story. An obese individual weighing 220lbs is not the same as a very fit individual weighing 220lbs. And yet we persist in using the scale as the final judge of our progress.

I saw a cartoon drawing depicting how men and women perceive themselves while looking at themselves in the mirror. Thin women see themselves as fat and out of shape. Men out of shape see themselves as fit. This is a generality of course. But I know I had the same issue. I was carrying a lot of weight and never saw it. I see it now after 54lbs are gone but not then. I did have to use the scale (it does have its use), yet my blood tests, my waist measurements and blood pressure told the rest of the story.

No comments: