Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Riding Memories...

I learned to ride a bike when I was twelve, maybe thirteen. Before that I used to stand on one pedal and push myself around as if riding a skateboard.

One day I just started riding, maybe the ability was there all along and fear of falling was holding me back. Once in full throttle, the ten speed, the twelve speed, and the three sprocket bikes with umpteen speeds came my way.

There was a time period, years really, where I used my trusty Trek to commute to work. From Whittier to a little past downtown Los Angeles; some twenty miles one way!

One day, coming back from work I had a tail wind and a slight downhill on one of the routes I would take back to my home. As I cranked the high gears, a sports car came up next to me. The open top made it easy for the driver to tell me: You know you’re doing 55mph! I immediately, yet in a controlled manner, slowed down to a manageable speed. The ride was fast and fun but I suppose it could have turned into a disaster.

Next, really scary moments while riding!

No comments: