Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I’m recuperating quite well from my 20 mile walk. I have one more long walk before the actual event on March 19th and will try to remember to hydrate every thirty minutes and control my urge to go fast in the beginning.

I read a really interesting article on www.runnersworld.com. It has to do with burning calories, differences between walking and running per mile. Basically running burns more calories below five miles per hour. Once you hit five miles per hour, walking burns more calories than running.

What I have noticed is that my heart rate when walking past five miles per hour really soars. I have to run much faster to achieve the same heart rate. This is encouraging for me, it also explains why last year I was passing runners on the first seven miles of the LA Marathon ( I paid for it later), and later hit the wall at seven plus miles. It was horrible after that, nineteen miles of sheer pain. I will not make the same mistake this year.

Yesterday I had my worst day as far as energy was concerned. I was supposed to have a short run with a friend of mine but I just could not do it. I went to the gym and did only stretching. Today was a different story. I had a really good workout (called the bear); it’s a full body workout. I used an Olympic size bar, with two, ten pound plates. It involves doing dead lifts, clean jerks, shoulder presses and squats all in one move. Really exhilarating, did that for three sets of six reps plus one of two. Ran out of time and finished the workout with a short stationary bike run for a few minutes.

No comments: