Thursday, September 28, 2006

Improving Brain Capacity

Various reports mention the relationship between cardiovascular health and brain functions. The brain uses about twenty percent of all the oxygen we need. Improving oxygen intake will improve brain function. So here is one recipe:

Stair casing (workout on the treadmill).
Warm up for about 10 minutes (I used the stationary bike for that).
This is a common routine but it is hard. So sleep well the night before!

3 minutes at 3.5 mph
1 minute at 4 mph
1 minute at 5 mph
1 minute at 3.5 mph
1 minute at 6 mph
1 minute at 3.5 mph
1 minute at 7 mph
1 minute at 3.5 mph
1 minute at 8 mph
2 minutes at 3.5 mph
1 minute at 9 mph
2 minutes at 3.5 (really need the recovery at this point).
45 seconds at 10 mph
3-5 minutes 3.5 and below to recover.

I checked my heart rate monitor. I hit 189 max. I was sweating profusely. After that I was quite alert at my scheduled meeting in the afternoon and later in the evening.

Instead of feeling tired I was energized. Why is this so? There are a number of reasons. Blood flow is improved, this means that circulation is better, therefore oxygen distribution to the brain is more efficient.

Our lung capacity improves with this type of exercise (cardio), and therefore more oxygen is transported to our blood which then has the above mentioned beneficial effect.

I've worked up to the level above (it has been about 4 years since I started this new life style). Don't try this at home unless you've been doing this sort of thing for a while.

Moral of the story, start walking, running, golfing, etc. Vegetating is not appropriate. While we can not stop the aging process, we sure can slow it down considerably. How old was Moses when he died? Hmmm! There is more to it than we know.


Regardless of how long we live, more oxygen, nutrients, glucose to our brain will improve the quality of our life. Let's find ways to improve our brain capacity!

No comments: