Friday, November 14, 2008

Roll with the punches

roll with the punches
to adjust to difficult events as they happen.
She had to perform shortly after her brother died, but she rolled with the punches and put on a great show.
Etymology: based on boxing, from the literal meaning roll with the punches (= step back or to one side as you are being hit), so that you do not receive the full force of the attack

From theFreeDictionary.com


I had fun plans for today. I was going to perform and excellent workout. Do some chores around the house, visit a museum, get some work done.

The first punch came in the form of my Honda  Accord not starting. Not having another car around left me stranded, sort of. I was in front of my home, not in real danger!

The second punch has been coming for a while. I could not find my Triple A card, I procrastinated in trying to locate it so I was really hit with the problem today. I could not call a tow truck to take it to the car shop so with the help of my son-in-law we tackled the problem.

A call to a friend with experience on auto mechanics suggested that we change the old battery cables. I had recently bought a new battery so that was assumed not to be the problem.

The plan was then to change the cables and get going.

Rolling with the punches.

I needed to go to the a car parts dealer to get a pair of new cables. I had no car, so I called my daughter in law who fortunately was home and borrowed her car and went to the autoparts shop and bought a cable. I thought I had bought two. By this time I had returned the car and she needed to go to work. I was car less again. I needed to get another cable. Darn!

I got on the bike and rode to the autoparts dealer. Yup I got my exercise in this manner. Only thing is that once I got back I realized that both the cables I had bought were not the correct ones. I really needed to go to the Honda dealer. We were rolling so I went and got the correct cables. My daughter arrived by this time so we drove in her car.

Finally the cables were back on and the car...did not start! The previous cables were bad and the battery had completely drained (this is the story so far). Jumped started my car and everything was fine again. I'll go check the battery tomorrow to make sure nothing else is wrong. This took all of five hours. Meanwhile I did squats, ran and rode a bike.

I was completely exausted and took a nap, I felt asleep as soon as I hit the bed for about twenty minutes. Everything is some much better now. I feel good and car is working order.

Rolled with the punches.

No comments: