Friday, December 19, 2008

No checks or cash....

It's now about a week since we arrived in Orlando, Florida.  One of the first things we had to do upon arriving was to obtain a rental car. What happened next is but a glimpse of why we have economic problems.

I read an article about the issue of saving and not using credit whenever possible. One of the issues mentioned in various sources about  our economic woes has to do with how Americans don't save enough. How we all live in a credit driven world.

I tried on this vacation to be as frugal as possible and not rely so much on credit cards.

My first taste of reality and how impractical this has become happened right at the rental car company. Yes we had reserved the car months in advance and you have to give them a credit card number to do this.

The thing about the whole experience is related to trying to use my ATM/VISA to pay for the rental. I figured no one refuses cash. The car company did! They wanted a real credit card! I was told I could not use my ATM/VISA because people apparently have used it before and then claimed they did not rent the car. I'm not sure how one accomplishes such a dastard deed but I was about to be put through the ringer.

I asked if they knew of a bank near by so I could get some cash. It did not matter, the car rental company does not accept cash. Safety reasons.

My bank does not allow me to take more than $600.00 cash so that was a moot point since the bill was $1400.00.  I ended up renting the car with a credit card. Had no choice but to do this. I'll pay the whole thing off soon enough but it just seems that the whole country has been cajoled into a lifestyle that inevitably leads to what we are enduring right now.

Yes, Americans are not saving. Just be aware that having saved your money does not stir you clear of this mess. The sings usually say: No personal checks accepted. Soon they'll be changed to: No cash or checks accepted!

No comments: