Friday, December 05, 2008

Speedy Gonsalez

Recently I came across some information in the various fitness sites about workout duration. After workout calorie burn and Tabata protocols are the rage.

To tell you the truth, spending as little time as possible exercising is appealing. No more long bouts, dragging yourself off the tarp, barely making it to the shower.

The link below explains some of the concepts in more detail.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler62.htm

I'm adjusting my workouts accordingly. I have been doing the exercises described in the bodybuilding link for a while but for longer periods of time. Enough of that. I'm giving the shorter workouts a try.

One thing to note is that the intensity has to be brought up a notch or two or four, depending on what you have been doing. I have been exercising all year so I can put up with sprints and short intense bouts.

I'm now involved in a fat loss program mixed with Escalating Density workouts.

Today's workout went like this:

Five minutes stationary bike warm-up (two twenty second sprints thrown in there for good measure).

Deadlifts: 15x5 for about fifteen minutes. (155lbs)
Bulgarian Split Squats with Press 4x3 (20lbs)

Five minutes stationary bike cool down (two twenty second sprints to finish off).

One more week of this and I'm off on vacation. I'll be doing this type of workout while in Florida.

No comments: