Friday, January 16, 2009

Procrastination and its aftermath

For some time my car's alarm clicker has been showing sings of its battery dying. I have a pair of remotes for the alarm so I did not worry about it.

Judgment Day!

The battery died and I could not find the second alarm remote. I figured no problem. I'll just open and close the car manually until I get the new battery. That was the plan!

The aftermath!

I set out to work remembering not to engage the alarm so I would not have any problems. I had a productive day at work, time to go home. I walked to the parking lot and I pressed the alarm remote, ooops! I had forgotten that I had not engaged the alarm. In it's last dying breath the remote's battery engaged the car's alarm and now I could not turn it off.

It was dark, I said the heck with it, I opened the car. Essentially I broke into my own car. That set off the alarm. The remote does not work, alarm is going on! I waited, I figured it would eventually turn off. It did, momentarily. I got on the car and went home. All the while the alarm blazing and the car horns honking. I tried to take as many side streets as possible and on red lights stop way behind the line of cars. Car still honking, inside lights going on and off.

I finally turned the corner into my street, parked the car, closed the door and the alarm stopped. By this time my wife comes out to see what's going on and she heads directly to the car and guess what she does? She opens the door and the alarm starts going again.

I closed the door, put a bag over my head and went inside. The alarm finally stopped. My son in law got a battery for me and the whole ordeal is now over.

I know I like to be the center of attention but please, this was just too much!

No more 'hasta maƱana'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Otto,that was funny.
I can imagine...the exact same thing happened to me the other day.Only it had nothing to do with the battery.I just did not know how to turn off the alarm as it was a new car and I did'nt have the time to read the instruction manual.So I said..what the heck and started to drive it...Fortunately the alarm stopped as soon as i drove a small distance.Just imagine driving with the alarm on ,trying to keep a "good" face as if you are not stealing the car and hoping the cops don't come by.That must have been thrilling...