Friday, January 04, 2008

Progress...

Over the last month our training has been moving right along. We are at the 17 mile mark and soon will be hitting 19.

One caveat, I could not resist playing some hoops and I got hurt. I did make the winning basket on a couple of games but in retrospect (read pain), I should have stayed away from the court. Finishing the 17 miles was  a bear. My left foot (the injured party), let me know in no uncertain terms that basketball induced injuries are not part of the marathon training. They are not worth it no matter how good that last basket may have made me feel. 

Our last run was a 7 miler in Pismo Beach, Ca. Running in the sand was just such a nice experience, and it helped by not having to run on a hard surface. The only thing I regret was not taking a photo of our little adventure (my sons and I were in full marathon regalia), we'll do it again.

I now now at exactly what point my sons pass me when sprinting. We did 5, 10, and 20 second sprints on the beach. My oldest twin son passes me at the 2 second mark. My youngest twin son (a difference of an hour and half from the eldest), passes me at the 5 second mark.  It's fun trying to keep up with them. Although I still rule in the long distance category, only because of mental training. I'm sure they'll get there as well.

My foot injury has forced me to x-out of the LA Marathon. I figured I need a couple of recovery weeks so we're doing the Catalina Island marathon.  It should be fun. There's boat rides to the start, softer running trails, so I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: