Thursday, April 13, 2006

Plateau #1001

I have finally broken another plateau. I'm below 230lbs consistently so 225lbs looms in the horizon. This is the last week of my current recovery program and I'll be switching my workout to a different format for the next three months. I have been splitting my routine into upper and lower body routines and it has worked well. I hit a max of 100 squats with 90lbs on my back (endurance training). I hit a max of 270 lbs bare grip dead lifts and 290 lbs with squats for up to 12 reps.

In the clothing department I have gone down from a 48 inch to a 41 inch waist. I can fit on a 40 but it's just a tad bit tight. Nevertheless progress has come slowly but surely. There was a time when I wanted the weight to come right off but I'm settled and happy with the way things are going. My mid area still has some fat to get rid of and it is happening as I write this. I've been complemented at lest three times in the gym about my weight loss and it's sure reassuring. We are sometimes are own worst critics.

Some folks still think I'm crazy because I have not touched a donut and sodas for over three years now. I use to miss my root beer but not anymore. I occasionally still have my cheat meal and include Ice Cream with it (although it's a kid's scoop for me). The aches and pains of working out and doing without ice cream most days of the week (six days actually) are the sacrifices that one has to make for healthier living. I'm not talking about injuring one self, just growth pains and recovery. It gets better as time goes by and I can attest to the fact that I feel so much better. I can actually drive longer distances without experiencing pains on my abdomen and other weird symptoms. I can hit 10 mph on the tread mill for short bouts and survive to tell about it. My kids have followed my example and at 17 years of age they are more informed about healthy eating than I or my contemporaries were at that age.

Today I hit the tread mill and bike in the gym. My workout consisted of a five minute stationary bike spin. From there I walked to the tread mill and for twenty minutes I incrementally went from 3.5 mph to 5mph, then 6.5 mph, slow back down, hit 8.5 mph, slowed to a walk and adjusted the incline to 7, lower the incline to 3.5 and went all out at 10mph for about 45 seconds. That's it. Cooled down and called it a day.

My breakfast, snacks and lunch consisted of egg, vegetables, skim milk cheese, almonds. A home made smoothie with strawberries, blueberries, papaya, raw milk, green tea, cinnamon, vanilla whey, and almond butter sandwich and an apple. Still under my 2500-2600 calories per day allotment.

I think I'm fully recovered from my Marathon experience and looking forward to my next adventure which is coming up in a couple of months. The top of half dome in Yosemite. I'm really looking forward to this hike, run. Everyday I say to myself "I am lean, strong, healthy and happy!" And my new saying is this: "God (yhwh) gives me endurance, when I run long, I experience his patience"

No comments: