Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Eating Habits

There are a combination of things that help recovery for Marathons and in the day to day regime of exercising for your health eating plenty of good foods it's a must. I've looked at dozens of books (actually bought them) for those who care. One thing I've noticed is that you get conflicting information. I mean the exact opposite of what one book said to do from another.

I'll give you an example. Coconut Oil. I first became aware of Coconut Oil in an advertisement on the web. I found a book (The Coconut Diet), this book explains in detail all the bad wrap that Coconuts in general have suffered at the hands of US advertisers primarily. This book advices one to use coconut oil as do other sites, bringing out that Coconut oil can take the heat and does not oxidize as easily as other oils and in this case is better than using Canola Oil or Olive oil which does oxidize at higher temperatures. The Book of Muscle by Men's health tells you to stay away from it, period.

So what to do. Well do your own research. I use Olive oil for salads, dipping bread, etc. I use Coconut Oil anytime it is to be heated or doing stir frying. My fat loss has not been affected. My cholesterol level has not been affected. Over the last four years I've lost 54 lbs of weight. It's very frustrating to have to go through all this yourself, but it sure pays off. I use a couple of e-books on the subject that have helped me a lot and will recommend wholeheartedly.

For now it suffices to say that in addition I eat from 6 to 9 times a day. I still pack the appropriate amount of calories for my desired goal but I'm never hungry. The only problem is when one goes out to eat. It's very hard to know what you're getting. Are they using good oil or not. Are the vegetables steamed and then butter is added? Send it back? takes more time to enjoy your food. But here is the key if you're constantly eating, you'll never be starving when you get to the restaurant so you can wait. If you're not starving, you're in control.

Ultimately that's the goal. Don't let food control you.

So what did I eat today?

I started this morning with this:

Breakfast:
1/2 cup of Oatmeal
1/3 cup of raw milk.
1/2 oz of raw chocolate bits, not sweetened.
1 oz of flaxseed.
25 raw almonds (7 calories per almond).
Dash of Cinnamon powder (not sweetened).
1/3 cup of Freeze Dried black berries.
Oatmeal boiled in green tea (that's how I get my green tea in the morning).

Snack before lunch:
1 Oz of whey
1/2 cup of raw milk
1/2 cup of egg whites
1/2 cup of green tea (yes more green tea)

Lunch:

I have to figure this one out cause I went out to a restaurant and this is probably where I lost it:
1 cup of Sun Dried tomato sup (probably too much sodium)
Chicken Magro (grilled chicken, tomato, spinach), its supposed to have only 5 grams of fat.
Italian bread dipped in Olive Oil
Mineral Water

My snack later on will be:
One medium apple
1 oz of Mozzarella Cheese (part skim milk)
4 oz of green beans lemon and vinegar.

Dinner:
6 oz of chicken
1 Whole pita bread (whole wheat)

And another snack before going to bed.

I'll be running today at some point because I was supposed to go to the Gym but we had a partial farewell lunch for a friend and colleague who's leaving on paternity leave.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

No comments: