Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Thoughts on moments gone by.


I read an article that seemed to imply that Marathons like the LA Marathon are not real races. So say race purists. Apparently finishing the 26.2 miles does not satisfy some folks unless it is done in a certain world class time. I wonder if any of those folks have ever run a Marathon. If they have, where is all this bitterness coming from? A failed attempt, an ufair or unwated result?


For me it is the pinnacle of a yearly cycle on which I have embarked for the last four years. I have gone from 284lbs to my present 227lbs. Still not my ideal weight, a very slow process indeed, but a very rewarding one nevertheless. Besides there are bonds created that contribute to the quality of our lives, this is a bonnus.


Friends and acquaintances have talked about how daunting such an endeavor this is. Some have tried it and found it so taxing that they have never ventured to try it again. I must admit, secretly envy the smoothness of the professional runners. Their gliding, smooth and almost surreal pace (5.x minute miles for over 2 hours) is captivating to watch. This some of us will never be no more than I can all of a sudden train to become 6foot 4inches. But an athlete nevertheless I will be for as long as I keep my pace, be it turtle or a penguin.


The exhilaration that can be felt through proper preparation (both mentally and physically) can not be duplicated. Yes those who finish are winners. Those who dare to try and get to the starting line are winners, having vanquished the fear within. It is perhaps why I was sorry for the whole thing to end so soon. As I ponder over the miles running/walking I see myself there time and again for as long as I can keep my pace, be it turtle or a penguin.


Some folks around you sharing the miles make it especially endearing and enduring what could be an ordeal becomes a wonderful experience. It has made a difference for me, it has improved my pace, be it a turtle or a penguin. Fine tuning personal training will definitely create improvement. The knowledge gained about one self will most assuredly do that as well. So in matters of physical and mental prowess, I do not run like a man running aimlessly (1Cor 9:26). I run at my pace, be it turtle or a penguin.

No comments: