Sunday, July 13, 2008

The ladder workout

How to use a ladder to workout without really trying.

In the last couple of days, actually it's been the last couple of weekends, I have been doing work around and inside my home.

From getting on the roof to get access to tree limbs to cut them to light and fan installations. All required the use of a ladder.

Yesterday my legs were sore. And I knew I had gone out for a fast walk in the morning, I had done some sprints the previous day but nothing out of the ordinary. Not the kind of soreness produced by those particular activities.

Then it dawned on me. I had been climbing up and down the ladder. Which really involve lunges, single leg squat variations and presses when holding fan motors and tools above your shoulders for minutes at at time. I was not counting but therein lies the source of my 'soreness'. Going up and down really worked me and being on my feet balancing on the ladder was far longer than most workouts I engage in.

So there you have it. Next time you need to do work around the home do it with gusto, give it all you got and you will earn your lunch snack or dinner.

No comments: