Monday, July 21, 2008

When going to bed

I have modified my sleeping habits quite a bit and my energy and sleep patterns are much better.

Our room goes completely dark at night. I made some covers for the windows which block must of the light coming from outside. We make sure to cover alarm clocks, phones, radios and anything else that emits the smallest hint of light. There is also no Television in our room. There never has been and don't have plans to put one in either.

Recently I took out a basket of books I had on my night stand. No more reading in the bedroom either. Our room is now formally declared a sleeping zone.

As far as the alarm goes, I usually wake up before it goes off so it's just a precaution. Once in a while I'll take a little longer to get up. The important thing is that I have to get to bed by 10:30PM. That's my threshold. If I don't, I'll still get up around 4:30-4:45AM but my energy levels will be off a bit. Especially later during the day. Try four hours later which puts me in a collision course with office hours. I should have an alarm instead to let me know it's getting close to go to bed.

Getting enough and solid sleep is essential for the next day's activities. The first of which is going out for a run/sprints/Nordic walking and the rest. Catching the sunrise is a nice thing to do. Being alert at work is a good thing as well. More productive and such.

The one other modification I've made is brightening my cubicle area with full spectrum lamps. It's nice! I can actually see how dark hour office space really is.

My sleeping routine includes a mandatory nap between 4:00PM and 6:30PM. It's only ten minutes but the office is really not setup to do this sort of thing. So I try to take one nap just before going home at 6:00 or so. It really energizes me and makes for a pleasant evening. My mood is so much better as well.

Another thing that really wakes me up is listening to upbeat music. It sure gets my heart pumping and I'm ready to go again. The only danger is that I really want to start dancing and I sure can get carried away with that :-) To all my friends who let music, life and proper rest invigorate them.

Cheers.

No comments: